A couple days ago, the additional items I ordered from Seahorse arrived. It took just 11 days from the day I ordered them and, as I mentioned previously, the whole order cost me less than $20, including shipping, and was quite a collection of goodies that are specially for this model. Below, you can see a set of 8mm 3D printed belaying pins, a full set of 3D printed cannon and swivel gun barrels for the Armed Virginia Sloop, the dowel set, and the laser-cut cardboard blocks and deadeyes set for this model.
For now, my focus is on the ship’s carriage guns. I double-checked Dr. Clayton Feldman’s book Modeling an Armed Virginia Sloop of 1768, and he describes the carriage guns as 3 pounders. That makes sense, given the small size of the gun carriages and barrels for this kit.
Again, the carriages are being made using the optional laser-cut gun carriage set for the Armed Virginia Sloop. One issue I ran into using these parts, is that the carboard is a little on the soft side. So, as soon as all the parts are together, I’m using some CA glue to harden it all up. For now, I’m using Aleene’s Tacky Glue where I can.
These parts are so small that, were I to do this all again, I’d probably get an extra set of the gun carriages. Given that these only cost about $1, and there are no extra carriage parts provided, this seems a reasonable precaution, particularly when working with the gun trucks or wheels.
I considered painting the gun carriages a natural wood color, but the kit’s printed carriage parts are red, and I thought that would look good, so that’s how I painted them.
I can’t recall if I mentioned this before, but for paper models, I’ve mostly been using a paint that is the same that Shipyard includes in their boxed laser-cut kits. At one time, they included the original tubes of paint, straight from the manufacturer, but now provide it in jars. The jars don’t show the manufacturer, but it’s exactly the same stuff. It’s from a Polish art supply company called Renesans. A couple years back, it took me a while, but I was able to find it on a Polish art supply shop that sold internationally. I have a small supply, but in this case, there’s plenty included in a jar that I got in another Shipyard kit. This model is so small, it doesn’t take much paint.
You’ll notice in the above photo that I messed up the front axel on this particular gun carriage. It’s so small that without special visors, I could not see that it wasn’t going on correctly. However, once the wheels are in place, this won’t be noticeable at all.
I kept the wheels on the laser-cut sheet until I was able to add the axel ends to them. These are REALLY TINY round pieces of card stock that often started to break up. And, if you look closely, you can see that they aren’t of uniform sizes. But, this was as good as I could do. When the glue dried, I brushed on some paint using a very dry brush. It was dry, so that the paint would seep into the cardboard and “glue” the parts to the sheet.
Afterwards, I glued all the wheels into place, again, using Aleene’s. After that dried, I use some thicker CA glue to lock things all together, then I gave them another coat of paint.
I test fit the 3D printed barrels I got and the following is the result.
The barrels seem black enough to use as-is. But the swivel guns look a little transparent. If I paint the swivel guns, I feel I really should paint these cannon barrels so they all match, but I’m hesitant, as these look pretty darned good the way they are.
In the above photo, you can also see that I’m test fitting the main deck hatch and the companion way hatch behind that. I’m not quite sure in what order I need to fit out the deck, as the model is so small. I’m concerned that putting some parts in place with get in the way of working with other parts. There are, after all, lots of eyebolts, ringbolts, and cleats to install.
I’ve been dragging my feet on this, but it looks like I’ll need to get to work on making some tiny wire eyebolts. Plenty of other things I need to work on, so maybe I’ll keep dragging my feet on that eyebolt production…