The next to the last installment on the building of this large Edo period river cargo boat.
In my last post on the building of the Tonegawa Takasebune, I got a bit overwhelmed with the making of the rice bales, or Tawara. I would have loved to configure the boat model with a full load of rice, but to do that would have required a lot more rice bales that what I made. My model has 39 of them, and I would have ideally wanted filling the boat and stacked a couple layers higher. But, to do that would have required probably at least another 200, and that was more than I could handle.
So, my idea was to mix it up a little. I’d experimented with making simulated, covered buckets, or Oke (oh-kay), and this certainly turned out to be easier to make that the rice bales with all the rope wrappings. There was still a bit of a process, but a little production line made the…
View original post 792 more words