Building Woody Joe’s Shinmei-zukuri Shrine – Part VI

The previous step was to assemble the framing for what might be termed the outer roof. Not knowing the details of the actual shrine architecture, I suspect that the real shrine might just be some very thick thatched covering that does not include this framework. I don’t know this for sure, and if anyone has access to information on this detail, I’d love to hear from you.

Step 6 << Assembling the Roof  2>>

This step begins with the task of covering the framework with a thin laser-cut veneer. Woody Joe has incorporated something I haven’t seen before in their kits: Some kind of paper-based backing (according to my contact at Woody Joe), that I initially mistook for an adhesive backing. The material is the darker colored sheet number 10, and there are two of them.

Part 10A on the bottom, and one of two sheet number 10s above, minus one of the parts, which I already cut out.

Now, according to Woody Joe, this is some kind of processed paper and can be glued using Wood Bond. However, it’s quite possible that the recommended glue, which is specifically a Japanese product, might work well on this. I tested out Titebond on the backing and let it dry. Afterwards, I found I could flake the glue off the slick backing fairly easily. So, I started by using contact cement instead, which worked quite well on the edge and end pieces, laser-cut pieces 10B, 10C and 10D.

Next, I added the covering 10A on one side using contact cement. By the way, the Japanese text says: Please firmly adhere each edge to the curved surface of the roof.

As I mentioned before, I tried using contact cement, which worked well for some parts. But, I found that it was best to simply use thick CA glue for the main roof covering. With contact cement, there was not enough surface area to really firmly stick together, even when clamped together as shown above.

The second task in this step is to add a pair of roof trim pieces that fit near the roof peak. These pieces, laser-cut parts 8B, and covered on the outside with gold colored adhesive-backed vinyl 27E. It’s a bit tricky dealing with the pieces on the ends and under the ends, as the laser-cut vinyl looks like it should just fold underneath at the ends, but on my model kit, the fold lines were cut all the way through, so each piece had to be added separately.

Finally, the roof is glued into place, and these two pieces are fit into place.

In the next step, the roof will be finished with a peak beak and some decorative logs that fit atop it.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s